Having Fun While Making a Difference
Rays of Light Philanthropic, Inc. (RLP) hosts a community service event called the Backpack Drive & Family Fun Fest. (BD&FFF). It is a family friendly, fun-filled block party style event complete with music, games and food. This event is not just a day of fun, it serves as a pathway to “Be a Blessing” by assisting parents in offsetting the costs associated with preparing their students to return to school.
Historically, our aim has been the collection and distribution of hundreds of brand new, supply-filled backpacks for foster, homeless and LGBTQ children, youth and teens. However, this year we’ve expanded our tangible goods scope to include the distribution of clothing and shoes. This means RLP is committed to providing each school age child one brand new, supply filled backpack, attire (top and bottom) and a pair of shoes to return to school.
Event Detail + Promo Flyer
- Event Name: Backpack Drive & Family Fun Fest
- Event Type: Charitable (backpack, school supply, clothing and shoe collection supporting foster, homeless and LGBTQ children, youth and teens in low-income communities)
- Date: Saturday, July 29, 2017
- Time: 12:00pm – 4:00pm
- Giveaway Begins: 2:00pm
- Location: Northridge Recreation Center, 18300 Lemarsh Street, Northridge, CA 91325
Tangible Goods Distribution
Annually, RLP works diligently to secure brand-new items — we’ve discovered the term “gently used” is widely subjective. However, this year we will accept “gently used” clothing and shoes meeting the following requirements:
- Garments must be fully functioning (i.e., working zippers)
- No missing buttons
- No tears or rips
- No stains or signs of fading
- No odors
- Shoes should have no odors and both shoe strings in good condition
All tangible goods we receive will be thoroughly inspected (per the above-mentioned requirements), counted and prepared for distribution. 100% of what we receive will be distributed event day in the following two ways:
- Our standard protocol is the provision of goods to our partner organizations (Door of Hope, Inner Circle Foster Care, Penny Lane and Union Rescue Mission). They will distribute those goods to the youngsters in their care in preparation for the first day of the 2017/18 school year.
- This year RLP will also distribute to parents/students in our community that have demonstrated the need for financial support. We have taken care to implement some specific guidelines to guard against abuse to ensure we’re good stewards over all we receive.
How You Can Help
Our tenet is “No one person can do everything, but we all can do something”. Because this is an aggressive goal, we are reaching out to enlist your help. Specifically, we are requesting your consideration to help us in either of the following ways…
- Host your own personal drive to collect new backpacks, school supplies, clothing and shoes for students ages 5 – 18
- Promote our event on your social media sites (promo flyer is attached)
- Send an e-mail blast to your family, friends and colleagues to help us raise awareness and asking them to purge their closets for “gently used” garments that would meet our requirements above.
- Make a tax-deductible donation toward the purchase of clothing or school supplies. Your gift of $75.00 would purchase a backpack kit consisting of a new backpack, top, bottom and a pair of shoes. https://raysoflightphil.org/donate/